Apr 13, 2020 However, you might need to free download Micro SD card formatter software to format it in the following situations. When the SD card turns into RAW file system, formatting is also an effective way to repair raw drive. Before you lend your Micro SD card to your friends, or you need to share it with others, you had better to format it to protect. Common SD Memory Card Formatting Software Features. Generally, merely type in the related words to your website browsers, like 'memory card formatting software' or 'SD card formatter tool', you can easily get tons of the related SD memory card formatting programs. Nintendo recommends using the SD Association's SD Memory Card Formatter to format any SD cards that will be used with a Nintendo product. Nintendo products strictly adhere to the SD card standard. Instructions on using this tool can be found at the bottom of the tool's page on the SD.
Format an SD card in your computer.
Click on your platform to show the formatting instructions for your SD card:
Here is a link that shows you how to reformat an SD card (or MicroSD card) on your Mac. The steps are also written out below.
- Connect the SD card to your computer by using an external card reader. Save all the files from your SD card that you want to keep to your computer before moving to step 2. Formatting the SD card deletes all the data off of the card.
- Note – If you’re using a Micro SD card, please insert the Micro SD card into the SD card adapter that came with card. Connect the SD card adapter to your computer by using an external card reader.
- Also note – Mac OS 10.6.5 or earlier does not support exFAT format, which most 64 GB SD cards are formatted to. This means that you won't be able to format or use exFAT card on your computer. In this case, we'd recommend either upgrading your OS to 10.6.6 or later, or using an SD card that's already formatted to MS-DOS (FAT) or FAT32 to complete the below steps.
- Open Disk Utility. To do this, click on the magnifying glass in the top-right corner of your computer screen. Type “disk utility” in the search box that opens, then click on the “Disk Utility” Application that comes up.
- Find the SD card in the left side of the window. It’ll be named something like NO NAME or UNTITLED.
- Click the ERASE tab in the middle of the window.
- Next, click on the Format dropdown menu. Select MS-DOS (FAT) if the card is 32 GB or smaller. If it’s a 64GB card, please select ExFAT.
- A message will appear asking, “Are you sure you want to erase the partition “[YOUR SD CARD NAME]?” Click Erase. The computer will delete the contents of your SD card and format it. You’re all done.
Step 1: Bring up Desktop View
If you are not already in Desktop View, bring up Desktop View by pressing the Windows key + D on your keyboard.
Step 2: Open 'Computer'
Open up the 'Computer' window by pressing Windows key + E on your keyboard.
Step 3: Display right-click options
Your SD card should be displayed in the 'Devices with Removable Storage' section. Right-click on your SD card to bring up the right-click menu options. Select Format.
Step 4: Format the SD card
- In the Format window make sure that the correct File System is selected. It should be set to FAT32 for 32GB SD cards and EXFAT for 64GB SD cards.
- Select Quick Format.
- Click Start.
- Once the formatting is complete, you can close the window.
Congratulations! You have formatted your SD card.
Code of Honor
Ranks and Badges
Mounts + Accessories
GoPro Apps - Desktop
GoPro Apps - Mobile
Safety + Warranty
|JOIN A GROUP
Jun 08, 2020 • Filed to: Solve Mac Problems • Proven solutions
Let us go in detail to find the answer.
Suppose you are using a vehicle but don’t go for routine service. What will happen? After sometime, it starts giving problems. So what is the solution?
Obviously, we need to take it to a professional mechanic.
The same thing is with your SD card, Now how to Format the SD card to FAT32 on MAC?
Well! Find out the solution yourself in this resolute dossier.
How to format SD card to FAT32 on Mac?
Are you tired of applying several older techniques that are not able to format your SD card to fat32 on MAC? No worries anymore, we are here for you, just follow these simple steps and get what you want.
Before that, you are advised to take a backup of data on your Mac device, before the beginning of the process. There are two ways to format USB flash drive to FAT32, including Disk Utility and Terminal command line, but here we discuss the former one.
Once SD or micro SD card has been backed up, you will be ready to format the storage device. Here are the steps to make it happen:
- Insert the SD card into the slot on your Mac.
- Navigate to Finder > Applications > Utilities.
- Open Disk Utility.
- In the sidebar, select the SD card that you are trying to format.
- At the top of Disk Utility, press Erase.
That's it! Your task is completed successfully.
Reasons for Formatting SD card to FAT32
The Default memory card file systems:
A file system is a way of organizing a drive efficiently to access files with ease, later on. It defines the stored data on your drive. There are many types of file systems among which some common and more usable are:
- Choose FAT32(File Allocation Table 32) if SD card is <=32GB
- Choose exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table) if SD card is >=64GB
- NTFS (NT File System)
- APFS (Apple File System)
What’s FAT32 system on Mac?
The configuration of hard drives in MAC is different From Windows. Mac basically uses HFS+ but also supports FAT32. This FAT32 system on MAC is used for storage media, such as memory cards, flash drives and also external hard drives. One simple technique to convert FAT32 to HFS+ is by using disk utility feature that comes with OS X. If this technique doesn’t works for you, No worries! Here we provide you step by step solution in easy way with the help of images.
- Reasons for changing SD card format on MAC:
- If proper cleaning is not carried out at regular intervals of time, the performance of your SD card will degrade.
- One of the main reasons to format SD cards on MAC to FAT32 is to generate a bootable startup disk, that exactly contains the same Operating System version, that‘s with your MAC. This further helps to deal with troubleshooting problems and restoring files later.
- Another reason is to change from one format to another, in order to increase the speed of writing data in the SD card.
It is always beneficial to go for a little spring cleaning in your room, in order to keep your room clean from dust, as well from certain mites. But if, under certain circumstances, this process is not carried out then what will happen?
Obviously, you can't live there properly. The same thing is with your SD card.
Steps to format SD card to FAT32 MAC
Micro Sd Card Format Software Mac Download
Formatting is essential for your SD card to run properly. When the size of your SD card is 64 GB or above the best way is, to go with FAT32 format. This will help you to experience the feel of using a new card.
Note: It is advisable to backup your data from the SD card, it is very important to protect for any loss of crucial information, which on later stages will be hard to recover.
How to format 64 GB SD card to FAT32 on Mac
There are basically two general techniques to Format SD card to FAT 32 in Mac:
Formatting SD card to FAT32 on Mac is an easy process to go with. It is due to the presence of a built in utility application named “disk utility”. It erases all the data from your SD card. Not only this after the process of formatting, new directories and file systems are generated, which further helps to increase the speed and functioning of the SD card. This can be done by following some of the basic steps as mentioned below:
1. Using Disk utility:
If you are using operating system X, a simple method to Format SD card is by using Disk utility.
Step 1: Open “Disk Utility”, by typing in search box, available at top right corner of screen and then click on it.
Step 2: Now look for SD card on left side of the window. It will be shown by a name of “NO NAME” or “UNTITLED”. Select it.
Step 3: Now click on “Erase” tab available in the window.
Step 4: Now click on the “format” dropdown menu. This provides you with the available formats, from there select “FAT32” option.
Step 5: A message will appear on your screen asking your permission for erasing partition. Give the permission by clicking on “Erase” option. This will start the process of formatting for your SD card.
2. Using MAC command line:
In some of the cases the above mentioned process does not able to perform well. There may be certain reasons behind this among which some common are compatibility issues, errors and viruses. Then under these circumstances the use of MAC command line is beneficial. Although this technique requires a bit of attention and hard work but here you are provided with step by step guide that makes the task to format sd card on mac to fat32 easy for you. One of the advantages of using this technique is it provides accurate results in most of the cases.
Step 1: Hit cmd + space for launching spotlight, a box will appear with an option of typing, type terminal in this box and press “Enter” to open.
Step 2: Now Insert your SD card.
There are also other cards or disk storages, so next step will help you with this.
Step 3: For Identification of card Type “diskutil list”
Now all the available storeges will be presented to yopu in form of list
Step 4: Select your SD card.
Step 5: Now to format the SD card to FAT32 on MAC you need to type the command” sudo diskutil eraseDisk FAT 32 SDCARD MBRFormat /dev/disk2”
Note: In this case, the name of a card is “SDCARD” and”/dev/disk2”is the location of card.
- Here sudo provides you with super user rights.
- diskutil will call the disk utility program.
- EraseDisk is the command given for formatting the card.
- FAT32 is used to set the file system.
- MBRFormat gives the information to disk utility program for formatting a card with the Master Boot Record.
- After this process your password (depends) will be demanded. Filling it right, will start the process of formatting.
Fix “can’t Format SD card on Mac”
Causes of Failing to change SD card to FAT32 on MAC: There are several reasons for an SD card, for not been formatted with the methods and techniques, that previously done the task for you. The common reason for this problem is unsafe ejection, virus attack that lead to corrupt the files and in some uneven circumstances power failure.
Some of other reasons behind this problem are:
- SD card is protected by rights, which don’t allow you to make any changes.
- SD card is corrupted due to the introduction of bad sectors.
- SD card is corrupted due to file system error.
Steps to fix “Can’t format SD card to fat32 MAC”:
There are several techniques to fix this problem. The most common and safe technique is to take the help of utility software available with OS X.
Step 1: The first step in this is to connect your SD card with your MAC. Some MACs are available with an option of build-in SD slot. If you are using one among those, well for you and if not. No need to worry, we are having an alternate solution for you, in which you can use an external SD card cartridge. Still if you can’t able to make it then you can go with USB SD card reader.
Step 2: Now open utility disk app which is inbuilt in the MAC OS X. For this go for Applications, then click on the utilities and there you will find the Disk utility option. You can directly open it from top right side of your screen, in search option by typing “Disk Utility”
Step 3: Now identify your SD card from the list of available drives on left side of the disk Utility screen. Then click on it, this will show you the available storage in your device. With this you can also match the storage of your inserted card to the chosen one, for confirming that you had chosen the right card option. Generally the name will be NO NAME or Untitled as shown in image.
Step 4: Now choose Erase function from the functions list at the top.
Step 5: Now enter the name of your SD card that you want to assign from name field option. This is an optional step.
Step 6: Now choose ExFAT, as a file system format from the format drop-down menu as shown below.
Step 7: Now hit erase and the process of erasing data begins as shown below.
Step 8: Once the above process you will get a message of completion as shown below. Landscape cad software for mac. Now your card is ready to use.
Recover Accidently Formatted SD Card Files.
Sometimes there arise certain situations when you accidentally formatted your card and lose all of your data. Then you probably wonder what to do now? Or there arises certain circumstances when someone formats your SD card mistakenly?
Many times you tried a lot of software, but of no use at all. Also, you tried several techniques but still not able to recover your crucial information. What happens is, you lose hope and give it up.
If this is the situation, with you, don’t worry we have a guaranteed solution for you with detail structure.
First of all, you need to know is, the data from your SD card is not gone permanently. It is just a temporary process that takes place and can be reversed easily. If a proper technique or software or combination of both is used.
What you need to do is to simply install Recoverit for MAC that is available for download on Wondershare.com on your single click, and follow some of the easy steps as given below. Make sure these steps should be followed in the same order, as mentioned.
Micro Sd Card Format Tool
Talking about “Recoverit”, It is one of the best data recovery tools, that provides you the facility to recover your data from systems like systems and even crashed systems. Not only this Recoverit Data Recovery Ultimate provides you a facility to recover even fragmented videos and is also capable of fixing and repairing damaged or corrupt videos for you.
Launch ‘Recoverit” on MAC: The first step you need to follow is to install “Recoverit” on your MAC. After the successful installation of this software on your MAC, Double click on “Recoverit icon” that is shown up. If you can’t find it, then go for a finder, and then select applications, there you will find Recoverit easily. Now double click it to open.
Now you have to follow three simple steps to recover your crucial information from your SD card, as mentioned below:
- Initially you need to select a target location
- Then you have to Scan the location
- Finally go for a Preview and recover data
If not, no worries. Let us discuss each step in detail that makes up easy for you.
- Select the SD card you want to format: For this, go for data scanning and searching option and then choose your SD card as a target location. You will find a dialogue box appears before you as shown below.
- Scan the removable media: It is an All-round scan which usually takes few minutes. During this process you are provided with an option of filter and locate files of your choice as shown below.
- Preview and recover files: After the above process you are provided with a preview function in which lot of files will be there that includes Pictures, videos, movies, images, audio, documents and so on.
Here you need to select the files you want o recover. For this just click and select the required files and just simply click on “Restore”. You can also opt for all files of if particular files are selected then these selected files will be restored. Finally you get your data back.
Today we live in digital world, where data is stored in digitally. Digital data occupies less space, can be stored on cloud storage and, it can be encrypted. But at same time it carries lot of problems and one among them is the problem of erased data or accidental formatting. For these cases, a precision is required, especially for your SD card. Here you are provided with a resolute dossier on how to format SD card to FAT32 on Mac that makes your task easy.
What's Wrong with Mac
Micro Sd Card Formatter
- Recover Your Mac
- Fix Your Mac
- Delete Your Mac
- Learn Mac Hacks