Certain actions that you perform on your Mac will cause default apps to open. For example, clicking a document may open Pages. But what if you want Microsoft Word to open instead? You can also set your default web browser and email reader.
How to change the default Mac app for specific file types
Feb 05, 2020 Mail is likely the default email app on your Mac, but just in case you have others downloaded, you can set the default reader. Here's how: Launch Mail from your dock or the Finder. Click Mail in the menu bar at the top of the screen. Click Preferences. Click the dropdown next to Default Mail Reader. Click the app you'd like to set as the default.
- Right-click on a file that uses the file type you'd like to change the default for. For example, one with a .jpg extension (a photo).
- Click on Get Info in the pop-up.
- Click Open With if the section isn't already expanded.
Click the dropdown and choose an app.
- Click Change All..
Click Continue when the Finder asks you if you're sure.
- Apr 26, 2020 If you read and write all of your emails in Gmail, consider setting Gmail as default email service.Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 can all be set up to use Gmail as the default, whether you use Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Microsoft Edge as your default web browser.
- Change Outgoing server settings in Mail on Mac. You can change preferences for the SMTP mail server you use to send messages, as directed by the provider of your email accounts. To change these preferences in the Mail app on your Mac, choose Mail Preferences, click Accounts, click Server Settings, click the outgoing Account pop-up menu, then choose Edit SMTP Server List.
- Here, there are so many solutions that can help users to change Outlook for Mac as the default application in Mac OS. Go through some possible ways to set Outlook as default email client in Mac OS X. Let’s have a look: Approach 1 To Set Mac Microsoft Outlook as Default Email Client. First, go to the Apple Mail and select Preferences option.
- May 20, 2019 In Microsoft Outlook 2016 for Mac running on Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10) or later versions, you cannot set Outlook as the default application. In Outlook Preferences, under General, you enable the Make Outlook the default application for e-mail, calendar, and contacts option.However, when you check the general preferences again, this option is not enabled.
Now any time you open a file with that extension, the Finder will automatically open it with the app you've selected.
How to set your default web browser
- Launch System Preferences from the dock, Finder, or by clicking the Apple icon in the Menu bar.
- Click General at the top left of the window.
- Click the dropdown next to Default web browser.
Click the web browser you'd like to use as the default.
How to set your default email reader
Mail is likely the default email app on your Mac, but just in case you have others downloaded, you can set the default reader. Here's how:
- Launch Mail from your dock or the Finder.
- Click Mail in the menu bar at the top of the screen.
- Click Preferences.
- Click the dropdown next to Default Mail Reader.
Click the app you'd like to set as the default.
Let us know in the comments below.
Updated February 2020: Updated for macOS Catalina!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Sunny boy software for mac. Learn more.Hacked
Breaking: More Twitter account features disable due to crypto hack
Verified and non-verified Twitter accounts are having some features disabled, including the ability to tweet. Twitter is recommending resetting your password.
Mail client Mail.app in macOS is pretty good, but many users prefer to work with alternative applications, such as, for example, Spark.
In this small instruction I will explain how to set default Mail client on Mac to alternative application.
Setting Default Mail Client on Mac
As such an alternative client, choose the already mentioned Spark, but this is just an example – you can use the application that you like.
Read more:How to Mark All E-mails as Read?
So, let’s take as initial data that Spak is already downloaded from the Mac App Store and installed on your computer with macOS or OS X:
- Start the regular Mail application (yes, you need to start it, although you want to assign another program as default);
- In the top menu, select Mail -> Preferences;
- Then go to the General tab;
- Find the Default email reader drop-down menu;
- Open the list of applications and select the necessary (in our case this is Spark);
Set Default App On Mac
- If the application does not appear in the list, but it is installed on your computer, click on Select and manually select the application in the window that opens (Spark);
Change Default Mail App Mac Mojave
- Choosing Spark and click Select ;
- Close the Mail settings window, close the Mail application.
Default Apps On Mac
Set Default Mail App Mac
Now the default e-mail client is the application you selected – it will open links with email addresses and it will create new letters in it if, for example, you want to send a file by email from anywhere in macOS.